Constipation is a condition of the digestive system in which effort required to expel feces. In this condition, feces is often dry and hard.
When food moves slower moves through the digestive tract colon absorb more water from it as a result feces become dry and hard.
This condition emptying the bowel can become painful.
Constipation is not a disease but an infrequent bowel movement. usually considered, less than 3 stools per weeks.
- Hard and dry stools
- Abdominal pain and bloating
- The feeling of incomplete bowel eviction.
- Straining with a bowel movement.
- Need extra time to expel feces.
- You poo less than three times a week.
- It is very difficult to expel stool.
- Blockage feeling in your rectum.
- Pain and cramp in the rectum.
- Vomiting (in extreme cases)
Constipation can be cause by many factors. some of them discussed below.
Hypothyroid slows down your metabolic process.
The slower the metabolism content takes a longer time to digest and colon absorbs more water from food which makes stool hard and decreases the frequency of stools.
But constipation always not related to the thyroid problem.
a study in 2014, shows that 33% of diabetic patient suffers from constipation.
Diabetes affects your entire body, including nerve, which can cause slow transit time in your intestine.
3. Exercise (too much or not)
Not exercising often cause a digestive problem which can lead you to constipation. Too much exercise can also cause constipation.
When you exercise too much this cause more sweat and your body needs more water to regulate body temperature, which your intestine may recover from the stool and lead constipation.
Some medication can cause constipation as a side effect. Like antidepressant, anticonvulsants, calcium channel blocking drugs, aluminum-containing antacids, dutrics, antihistamines, opioids, anti-diarrheals etc.
Some calcium channel blocker such as verapamil and nifedipine can cause severe constipation.
5. Irritable bowel syndrome
People who are suffering from Irritable bowel syndrome are more likely to get constipation.
During pregnancy, many hormonal changes occur which can cause constipation.
As the uterus grows which can compress the intestine and slow down the movement of the bowel.
7. Some medical condition
Some medical slow the stool movement through the colon, which can lead to the constipation
- Neurological disorder and spinal lesion such as pelvic floor dysfunction can cause constipation.
- Neurological conditions such as Hirschsprung’s disease, anismus, descending perineum syndrome can make you constipated. Hirschsprung’s disease is the most common cause of constipation in the infant.
- Some Systemic disease such as celiac disease may also present with constipation.
- Extra-intestinal masses can also lead to constipation from external compression
8. Lack of water present in your body
If you are dehydrated, this can cause constipation. Your body recovers water from your poop and makes it hard and dry,
Many sodas and caffeine can cause dehydration and constipation. Alcohol also dehydrates your body so if you are already constipated, you should avoid alcohol.
As a person ageges, the metabolism slows down and muscles in the digestive tract do not work properly as they used to
9. Dairy product
Dairy products can also cause constipation.
10. colon cancer
11. Bad eating habit
12. Overuse of laxatives
In pregnant women, hormonal change can cause constipation and increased in progesterone hormone cause the relaxation of your body including your intestine.
Slower moving intestines mean slower the digestion. Due to this, food spent more time in a colon, and colon absorbs more water from your stool, which makes it dry and
- Eat a fiber-rich diet to prevent constipation. Pregnant women should eat 30 grams of fiber each day. So eat vegetables, beans, lentils, whole grain bread, etc.
- Do regular physical activity. Exercise stimulates your bowel to move.
- Drink more water and stay hydrated.
- Before using any kind of medicine, ask the doctor first.
Normally, a child who has a bowel movement lesser than three times a week, and the stool is hard, dry and difficult to pass, is considered constipated.
This is normal, but if constipation lasts longer than two weeks, is called chronic constipation.
Symptom: loss of appetite, nausea, crying during a bowel movement, avoiding toilet.
- Increase the amount of non-dairy fluids and fiber in your child’s diet. You should give your child more fruit, fruit juice, vegetables, and whole grain bread.
- Make sure your child plays at least one hour a day.
- Encourage your toddler to go to the bathroom regular time during a day and make him sit for 10 minutes at a time.
- If your toddler has chronic constipation then this is a good reason to see your doctor.
The hormone which is responsible for constipation during periods is progesterone.
Just after the ovulation, the level of progesterone increases.
Progesterone is a muscle relaxant so it relaxes your muscle, including intestine, which can cause constipation.
If the level of progesterone is too high, it can be very hard to move stool in your intestine.
But these types of constipation can ease when your periods get started.
During the period if prostaglandins are produced in too much amount, then it can also cause diarrhea, like a problem.
- Try to avoid foods that rich in fat and sugar
- Drink more water than usual days and stay hydrated.
- Exercise daily, exercise can stimulate your bowel to move.
- Eat plenty of vegetables, fruit, and leafy greens foods.
Medical treatment need only if constipation is severe.
1. Pelvic muscle training
Constipation may occur when the muscle that passes the stool may stop working well.
You can exercises to retrain them with the help of a physical therapist. This training is called biofeedback.
Your physical therapist will insert a small tube (catheter) into your rectum.
It will measure muscle tension. As you go through exercises, this will help you learn how to relax when you need to pass the feces.
2. Certain medication
If your constipation is caused by chronic constipation or irritable bowel syndrome, then your doctor may prescribe some medication such as lubiprostone etc.
it will stimulate the cells to send more fluid into your gastrointestinal tract.
This will soften your stool, ease stomach pain, increase your frequency to go to the bathroom.
- Cytotec: This stimulate your bowel to work faster.
- Col-probenecid: Help you for more bowel movement.
- Botox: switch often stool. It is recommended for people with pelvic floor dysfunction.
- Stool softener: this will draw water from your intestine to stool. And make it easier to pass. These are of two types, surface and colors. These are used in long term management of constipation
- Lubricants: it will coat your stool to help hold fluid and make it easier to pass.
- Osmotics: it keeps the water in your stool. This will increase the frequency and keeps your stools soft. Some Osmotics include, milk of magnesia, Miralax, lactulose, magnesium citrate etc.
- Stimulant: it works by irritating the lining of the intestine, stimulate intestine to contract which speed up the passage of feces. Its regular use isn’t recommended because it can damage your bowel and nerve, which ended on the colon.
Laxatives aren’t good for everyone with constipation. You should use them for a short time and under the doctor’s care.
Healthy gut bacteria are essential for a healthy digestive system. You should keep your gut bacteria, abundant and strong. It is very necessary to prevent constipation.
You should eat foods which are rich gut bacteria such as fermented milk, kefir, tempeh, yogurt, miso etc.
Surgery may be the option if your constipation isn’t getting better with any kind of treatment. But it depends on the cause of constipation.
This can help you if you have a blockage, anal fissure etc.
Recommended for you
You can get rid over constipation on yourself. If you no home remedy working for you should check this out.
- Dherbs Bowel Motion, 100-Count Bottle
- Cure Constipation Now: A Doctor’s Fiber Therapy to Cleanse and Heal
- Premium Aromatherapy Body Cleanse Foot Pads – Stress, Pain and Constipation Relief
- Baby Poop: What Your Pediatrician May Not Tell You
You can treat constipation with home remedies at home in most of the cases. These are some home remedies you can use.
1. Stay hydrated, drink more water as much you can
Being dehydrated regularly can lead you to constipation. To prevent constipation, you should drink water and stay hydrated.
If you are constipated, you should try carbonated water, this will help you to rehydrate and make some relief from constipation.
2. Eat more fiber
If you are constipated you should increase fiber intake because increasing in fiber intake increase the consistency of bowel movements which make stool easier to pass.
It also helps people who have chronic constipation.
In many studies found that exercise has no effect on a bowel movement. But in some study, it also found that exercise reduces the symptom of irritable bowel syndrome exercise may reduce the symptom of constipation, but it doesn’t increase bowel movement.
4. Drink coffee
Coffee stimulates the muscle in your digestive system which can increase the urge to go to the bathroom.
This is because caffeinated coffee can stimulate your gut bacteria.
This effect will stronger than drinking water and decaffeinated coffee
5. Take senna
Senna is commonly used as an herbal laxative to relieve constipation.
Senna contains a glycoside which stimulates the nerve and increases the bowel movement.
It is safe for adults, but if your symptom doesn’t go away after a few days, then you should consult your doctor.
6. Probiotic food and supplement
Probiotic increases your metabolic process and can save you from chronic constipation.
Usually, chronic constipation showed in those, who have an imbalance in bacteria.
They can help to treat in constipation by producing lactic acid and fatty acid.
You can try these food fermented milk, kefir, tempeh, yogurt, miso.
Or you can try the alternative method by taking probiotic supplements.
7. CCCBTGP remedy
Taking this daily at night before going to bed it detoxified our body and also help to digest the food.
Corom, ginger powder, and cumin in this remedy needs, to help to digest the food.
Peppermint keep cool our stomach next day your stomach will be clear and you will feel better.
- Cumin seeds
- Carom seeds
- Coriander seeds
- Black salt
- Turmeric powder
- Ginger powder
- Take 2 tablespoons of cumin and 2 tablespoons of Carrom spoon and roast them on medium temperature.
- After 2 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds in it and roast it for another 2-3 minutes.
- After that, transfer all the ingredients in a blender and make powder.
- When The powder is ready, add a ½ tablespoon of black salt and turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of ginger powder and 1 tbsp of dried peppermint leaves powder and mix them well
- To consume this take 1 glass of warm water and 1 tbsp of this powder mix it well and let it set for 10 minutes and then consume this after dinner at night.
you can also use powder with same remedy Triphala is used in stomach related disease in Ayurveda.
It works as a natural cleaner in our stomach and intestine.
It also reduces harmful element and reduces dangerous belly fat.
It’s easily available in local or you can buy from here. It is not expensive. Use one at a time.
Use above process only not ingredients in this method
If you want to use both recipe, use only at a time. You should use them twice in a week.
8. Castor oil
It has fast and amazing effects, in relation to the stomach and curing constipation. It is like a laxative for our intestine and stomach but has a bitter taste. So consume it. Recipe
- Take one cup of lukewarm water.
- Add half the lemon juice
- Half teaspoon salt or less
- 1 tbsp of castor oil and mix it well
- You should take it in the morning after taking one glass of water in empty stomach.
It will start the process after 15-20 minutes later of consuming it.
After that stomach will clear and impurities will excrete.
If you consume papaya and turmeric milk will also benefit for curing it.
Papaya is also very beneficial for those people who have constipation.
People with constipation should consume papaya more often.
If you use papaya at night and in the morning this will easily clear your intestine and stomach.
10. Make a tea of Ginger and mint
This recipe is very simple and cures your constipation naturally.
It softens your stool and makes it easier to expel.
It helps you with gas, abdominal pain, and any stomach related issue. all you need that just.
- Cut ginger in pieces and take some leaves of peppermint
- Boil one 2 cups of water.
- Put both the ingredient in boiled water and boil it for 5 minutes
- Use tea bowl extracts it and drink it in once a day.
11. bael fruit
Bael is very effective for curing it. Beal is very easy to digest, keep hydrate your intestine, which makes stool soft and easy to pass.
It is also a give you energy It increases the bowel movement and keeps your stomach cool. To get rid of constipation you have to make juice.
You can easily make its juice at home.
- Its outer part is hard to cut. cut it and extract its soften inner part.
- Put its soft inner part in a bowl and add some water to it (in one medium size of bael add almost 500 ml water)
- Mash them very well (so don’t use a blender because there are seeds in it)
- After mashing them, extract with tea bowl.
- You can add sugar according to your taste. If the juice is viscus, you can add some more water.
- Drink it at any time once a day.
It will cure in one to two days. If it is old and comes again after a short time use it for a month. It has also cured irritable bowel syndrome.
You should take only one remedy at a time if you are using CCCBTGP remedy you shouldn’t take Triphala and vice versa.
Remedies for clearing the stomach should not be used regularly this can cause weakness.
These remedies should be used with one or two-day gap. If you are taking any kind of medication, then do not take any remedy after two-hour intake.
If You follow healthy habit you have no need to take any remedy or medication for constipation.