Coronavirus is spreading like wildfire knows days. So, we have decided to give the most basic information about novel coronaviruses that every human should know.
Note – this is only for information purposes. Consult medical authority for more information
Click here (World Health Organization) to stay Updated with coronavirus news
What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus is a large family of viruses which include 300 to 400 known coronaviruses out of these only seven affect humans and one of them was discovered in November 2019.
What are the types of Coronavirus that atteck human?
According to the CDC, there are seven coronaviruses that affect human –
1. OC43 (beta coronavirus)
2. HKU1 (beta coronavirus)
3. 229E (alpha coronavirus)
4. NL63 (alpha coronavirus)
5. MERS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS)
7. SARS-CoV-2 (the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19)
What is the size of Noval Corona virus?
The average diameter of Coronavirus particles (80 to 120 nm in diameter). The diameter of the envelope is 85 nm and the spikes are 20 nm long.
What are Symptoms of COVID-19 or exposure to novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2)
“People with COVID-19 had reported a wide range of symptoms” CDC says.
Symptoms May appear after 2-14 days of exposure to novel coronavirus can be mild to severe. Symptoms depend on individual health, immunity, and diseases.
1. Shortness breath
4. Muscle pain
5. Sore throat
7. Loss of taste or small
This is not a list of all the possible symptoms. There are less common symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea.
Source – World Health Organization and The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
What to do if you are feeling COVID-19 symptom
Follow CDC guidelines
1. Do not panic
2. Isolate yourself
3. Do not go in public places or near any person
4. Gather COVID-19 related information only from government agencies such as the World health organization or CDC.
5. Call your local emergency facility. 911 for the USA, 102 for India, and for others click here.
Read full CDC guidelines pdf here
How Novel Coronaviruses (SARS-CoV-2) spread?
According to CDC research, it can spread through no, of ways –
1. It spread through person to person in close contact within about 6 feet
2. Through droplets from infected people.
3. It can also spread by people who are not showing symptoms
4. By touching the surface that has a virus on it.
5. It can spread between animals and people, however, chances are very low.
How to prevent COVID-19?
The only way to prevent covid-19 is by avoiding exposure to novel coronavirus.
1. Wash your hand regularly with soap or alcohol based sanitizer
2. Maintain at least two meter distance from other people
3. Avoid crowded places
4. Stay at home
5. Avoid touching face
6. Avoid lung weakening activities such as smoking
Source – World Health Organisation
Do you need a mask to prevent coronavirus?
“You need to wear a mask only if you are taking care of an infected or suspected coronavirus patient. You should also wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.”
Says the World Health Organization.
To make this more effective wash hands with alcohol-based sanitizers or soap.
How to use a mask against coronavirus?
Click here to know more
When to see a doctor?
1. Consistent Pressure or pain in the chest
2. Difficulty in breathing
3. Bluish face or lips
4. Trouble in staying awake