Keto diet is a low carb and high-fat diet. Because carbs are restricted on a keto diet, you are always concerned about carbs before eating anything. Maybe this led you here.
Mushrooms are found in different shapes, colors, and sizes. Mushroom is very delicious and versatile food.
You can cook mushrooms with almost anything. Here we will discuss are mushrooms keto? And some important mushroom centered recipes. First, we should not talk about mushroom nutrition.
- Mushroom Nutrition – Does mushroom nutrition fit into a keto diet?
- Mushrooms on ketosis – Are mushrooms ketogenic?
- Keto-Friendly Mushrooms Recipes
- Health benefits of mushrooms
Mushroom Nutrition – Does mushroom nutrition fit into a keto diet?
Mushrooms contain more than 90% water. So they aren’t high in calories. It can fit with your low carbs and low calories diet both.
According to USDA, 100g raw Mushrooms can provide –
- Water – 92g
- Calories – 22 kcal
- Total carbs – 3.3g
- Fiber – 1g
- Net carbs – 2.3g
- Sugar – 2g
- Protein – 3g
- Fat – 0.3g
Vitamins and minerals in 100g raw mushrooms
- Thiamin – 5% of the RDI
- Riboflavin – 24% of the RDI
- Niacin – 18% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6 – 5% of the RDI
- Pantothenic acid – 15% of the RDI
- Phosphorus – 9% of the RDI
- Potassium – 9% of the RDI
- Copper – 16% of the RDI
- Selenium – 13% of the RDI
There are more than a thousand types of mushrooms. We will talk about the net carbs and calories in the most common mushrooms.
Some mushrooms are higher in total carbs, but low in net carbs. Such as oyster mushrooms.
100g oyster mushrooms contain 6g carbs but, just 2.7g net carbs. This is because these are high in fiber.
Some mushrooms contain less total carbs less but, high in net carbs. Such as gravy mushrooms 5.3g total carbs and 2.7g net carbs.
|Name||Total carbs||Net carbs||Calories|
|White mushrooms||3.2g||2.2g||22 kcal|
|Enoki mushrooms||7.8g||5g||37 kcal|
|Gravy mushrooms||5.3g||5g||32 kcal|
|Chanterelle mushrooms||6.8g||3g||32 kcal|
|Maitake mushrooms||7g||4.3g||31 kcal|
|Morel mushrooms||5.1g||2.1g||31 kcal|
|Oyster mushrooms||6g||2.7g||33 kcal|
Source – USDA (click on the name, it will redirect you there)
Mushrooms on ketosis – Are mushrooms ketogenic?
Yes, mushrooms are ketogenic. If we look at the carb content of mushrooms, 100g of white mushrooms contain 3g total carbs and 2g net carbs which makes it one of the best keto compatible vegetables.
It is very important to get all these carbs from a healthy source, mostly from vegetables.
But it is recommended stick with other low carbs mushrooms. These also contain other micronutrients such as vitamins and minerals.
This nutritional value for raw mushrooms and of course, you are not going to eat raw mushrooms.
You can eat stuffed, sauteed, or mushroom soup on the keto diet and you can prepare them in a keto-friendly manner.
These all items contain 2-5g net carbs and eating 5g net carbs per meal on keto is an ideal condition for ketosis.
You can eat mushrooms without concern about your ketosis but remember do not add high carbs ingredients to your recipe.
If you do not add high carbs ingredients to your mushrooms recipe, you will be full before passing the 30g carbs limit.
You should not be concerned about passing the carbs limit while you are eating mushrooms, but make sure you are not adding high carbs ingredients to mushrooms.
Mushrooms are really very delicious and you can add them to your keto diet by several delicious ones.
Keto stuffed mushrooms
It is the lowest carb method to eat mushrooms. It is easy to make and you do not need to be a chef.
- 12 whole mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300 and prepare the baking sheet.
- Break off the stem and chop them finely.
- Put mushrooms on a greased baking sheet.
- Add garlic and butter to the skillet. Put chopped mushrooms on the skillet and cook over medium heat until mushrooms soften and all butter melted.
- Add cream cheese and spiced up over medium heat.
- Fill it in the mushroom with a scoop.
This is the simplest method to prepare stuffed mushrooms you can also try other low carb methods to prepare stuffed mushrooms.
Others way to make keto-friendly stuffed mushrooms
Per servings macros – 477 kcal, 5g net carbs, 12g protein, 46g fat.
Per servings macros – 72 kcal, 2g net carbs, 3g protein, 3g fat.
Per servings macros – 149 kcal, 5g net carbs, 4g protein, 13g fat.
Macros per servings – 316 kcal, 5g net carbs, 19g protein, 25g fat.
Keto Sauteed Mushrooms
It contains 4-5 g net carbs great for keto dieters. You should definitely try.
- 150 white mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1-2 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of ghee
- Salt and pepper
- heat fry pan till its smoking (actually just before smoking)
- Add mushrooms and after one minute add butter.
- Then add garlic and fry.
- Once the garlic turns to brown turn off the stove, add remaining butter and serve it.
This is again the simplest form of sauteed mushrooms. You can try other advanced recipes below.
Other recipes to make keto sauteed mushrooms
Macros per servings – 113 kcal, 4g net carbs, 2g protein, 10g fat.
Macros per servings – 250 kcal, 5g net carbs, 10g protein, 22g fat.
Macros per servings – 273 kcal, 5g net carbs, 8g protein, 25g fat.
Macros per servings – 569 kcal, 7g net carbs, 30g protein, 47g fat.
Health benefits of mushrooms
- May prevent cancer – Mushrooms contain antioxidants that may help to prevent several cancers such as lung cancer, prostate cancer, etc.
- Help to prevent and manage diabetes – Mushrooms are high dietary fiber which may help to manage diabetes.
- Good for heart health – Mushrooms are also high in fiber, potassium, and vitamin C in mushroom which help to manage blood pressure, that help to prevent cardiovascular diseases
- High in Vitamin B such as riboflavin or B-2, folate or B-9, pantothenic acid or B-5, niacin or B-3, and thiamine, or B-1.
Mushrooms are keto-friendly. You can eat mushroom and mushroom centered dishes on keto as much as you want. Carbs in mushrooms depend on the type of mushrooms.
There are a number of ways to eat mushrooms on keto, but stuffed, sauteed, and soup are the best way to eat mushrooms on keto.
Most frequently asked question
How many net carbs are in mushrooms?
Carbs in mushrooms depend on type of mushrooms, but no more than 5g net carbs. The most common 100g raw White mushrooms contain 2.2g net carbs.
Are mushrooms OK for Keto?
Yes, mushrooms are good for keto. Mushrooms contain less than 5g net carbs.
How to add mushrooms on keto?
You can make stuffed mushrooms, mushroom soup, and sauteed mushrooms. Here are some best low carbs recipes.
How many mushrooms on keto?
One servings mushrooms (5 medium mushrooms) contain 2g net carbs, 20 calories, and 3g protein. So, you can eat 1-2 servings on keto.