Exercises throughout your pregnancy can help you to stay healthy. Regular exercise can help you to prevent gestational diabetes, constipation.
Exercise can help to improve stamina during labor, improve mood and enhance sleep.
You should begin an exercise program under the supervision of health care.
Precaution Before Exercises During Pregnancy
These guidelines are supported by the American Pregnancy Association, you should follow these guidelines better results of exercises. You should keep these guidelines in your mind during pregnancy.
1. Don’t try new and risky
You should not start anything new and risky.swimming is very beneficial during pregnancy but If you don’t know how to swim then don’t learn swimming during pregnancy
2. Listen to your body
If you are doing exercise in a group. You should not compete with other people or women. Try to listen to your body and don’t push hard your body. If you start to compete with other women, you may injure yourself or can cause back pain, aches, sprain, etc.
3. Partner Should be around
If you are trying to do exercises by watching videos or listening. Remember one thing sometimes in late pregnancy it is difficult to change posture. So keep a partner around during pregnancy, especially in late pregnancy.
4. Drink water
Pregnant woman body needs more fluid than a normal woman. So drink plenty of water before and after exercise. Dehydration can cause certain discomfort such as dizziness, dark urination, racing heart, small urination.
5. Wear comfortable clothes
Wear a comfortable and supportive bra that can support and protect your breast. You may belly support belt during walking, running or jogging. You should not do these exercises without supportive equipment during late pregnancy.
6. Avoid exercise in hot and humid conditions
You should avoid exercise in hot and humid conditions, especially in the first trimester. Drink lots of water, wear comfortable and loose clothing.
7. Avoid lying flat on your back exercises
Lying flat on your back can reduce press the veins that return the blood to the heart due to the weight of the uterus and lower the blood pressure. This position decreases the blood supply to the brain for a short time and can cause unconsciousness.
So avoid lying flat position especially after 16 weeks of pregnancy.
Safe Exercise for Pregnant Women
Exercises during pregnancy can prepare you for labor. Obviously, these carry little risk of injury, but they benefit your entire body.
1. Water exercises
Swimming and other aqua exercises are very comfortable and good during pregnancy. In the water you can move without putting pressure on joints, feet, etc. you can also feel relief from extra weight throughout the pregnancy.
Better exercises in water
- Aqua aerobics
- Walking In water
- water jacks
- Side–to–side lunges
- Jumping Jacks
- Run forward and back
- Scissor kicks
You still have no idea what kind of water exercises should be done during pregnancy you can click below link.
- You should not try diving or jumping. This could impact your back, abdomen.
- Avoid warm pool, hot tubs, and steam rooms.
2. Brisk walking
During pregnancy, our cardiovascular system works a little bit extra. So it needs extra attention. But This exercise is the best workout for the cardiovascular system without hurting your knees and ankles. You can do it at your home and at any time of pregnancy.
- Wear good quality footwear.
- Chose flat surface
- Don’t go far away from your home
- Make better balance especially in late pregnancy.
- Avoid jig-jag path during third trimester.
3. Low-impact aerobics
Aerobics exercises are a very safe exercises during pregnancy. But the impact of these exercises should be low and you should always choose low impact exercises.
You should not try jumping or any other fast movement exercise. In short, your one foot always stays on the ground.
Low impact aerobics exercises mean you should limit the pressure in joints and should always maintain balance.
There are plenty or aerobics exercise option that are only for pregnant women. You can choose online video courses that are specific for pregnant women. Or you can go to aerobics classes that are specially for pregnant women.
You can check these links these might help you
- Gentle Yoga for Balance, Flexibility and Mobility, Relaxation, Stretching for All Levels
- Denise Austin: Pregnancy Plus Workout – Before & After Baby
4. Indoor stationary cycling
Indoor cycling is a great way to stimulate your blood flow, improve your breathing without putting any pressure on joints and foot.
Most importantly, it is risk-free because it supports your body weight. You can try this on roof or indoor and you don’t need to go anywhere.
- Read the manual before using
- Follow all safety steps such as fasten belt, safe sitting position, etc.
- In late pregnancy, avoid bending down. You can use a higher handlebar.
5. Jogging in moderation
Jogging is a better option to go around in the park or on the road.
You can also go on jogging. But jog in moderation amount doesn’t go too fast and don’t go too far.
Stop jogging if you feel any discomfort and avoid jogging in late pregnancy.
- Use the belly support belt.
- Wear good quality footwear.
- Take water with you.
Yoga will help you to maintain your flexibility. It strengthens muscles, improves your respiratory system and blood circulation, maintains blood pressure, etc. it will also enhance relaxation.
Yoga is many types, you can choose which are specially for pregnant women.
According to the American Association of pregnancy prenatal yoga is a great low impact exercise for pregnant women.
- Avoid lying on flat back and abdomen.
- Don’t try overstretch.
- Avoid choosing a balancing position.
Squatting during pregnancy will help you to open your pelvic outlet for your baby.
Open your feet to your shoulder width and lower into a squat position slowly. Keep your back straight, look straight, the heel on the floor and hold the squat position for 20 seconds and rest your hand on your knees. Stand up slowly pushing with your hand. Repeat this 5 times.
Tip For Safe Exercising Daily
Exercising safely is very important during exercise. Only exercising carefully will benefit for your health. So remember these techniques.
- Start exercising after 5 minutes warm-up.
- Rest after 15 minutes of cardiovascular exercise.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes, and wear a good supportive bra.
- Exercise on the flat floor
- Shouldn’t eat at least one hour before exercise.
- Stay hydrated during and after exercise.
- Consume enough calories for pregnancy which 300 and also for your exercises program.
- Always getting up slowly to prevent dizziness which becomes more common during pregnancy.
- Never reach the exhaustion point
- Never compete with other women or people around if you are doing in a group.
Are Exercises Safe During Pregnancy
In most cases exercises are safe during pregnancy. Usually, exercises are recommended during exercise.
If you were active before pregnancy it will easy to stay active during pregnancy. You health care provider also recommend staying active as long as you feel comfortable.
Exercises do not put your risk of miscarriage but you should always consult your doctor before starting any exercise routine
Benefits Of Exercises During Pregnancy
According to the American Association of pregnancy, You should exercise for a maximum of 30 minutes a day and it will benefit your health. But just 20 minutes exercise for 3-4 day weeks will also be beneficial.
- Ease constipation.
- Help you to sleep more comfortably
- Increase energy
- Increase your energy
- Reduce back pain and aches.
- Decrease the risk of gestational diabetes.
- Can help your healthy weight gain.
- Improve your cardiovascular system, respiratory system, and digestive system
- Reduce discomfort associated with pregnancy nausea, low blood pressure, back pain, etc.
- Help you to reduce weight after pregnancy.
- Make easy to return to a normal routine after pregnancy.
- Decrease the chances of cesarean
- Decrease the risk of preterm labor.
Exercises You Should Avoid During Pregnancy.
According to the American Association of pregnancy, you should avoid these exercises such as
- An activity that involves breath-holding.
- An activity which risk of falling is high such as horse riding, skiing.
- Any contact sport such as Football, basketball, volleyball.
- Bouncing while stretching, bouncing, stretching, running, skipping, jumping and hopping
- Waist-twisted movement while standing.
- Heavy exercise.
- Exercise in hot and humid weather
- Stop exercise before exhaustion
- Bend knees and full sit-up exercises.
- Weight lifting
Who Shouldn’t Do Exercises during Pregnancy?
These are some important time when you can not the exercises. If you have some pregnancy complications such as
- The placenta is on the lower side
- History of recurring miscarriage
- History of early labor.
- Weak cervix
- History of recurrent abortion.
- Multiple gestations.
Exercise for your baby is very useful for you and your baby. But not at the cost of risk to you and your baby. So if you have some of these issues, talk to your doctor. Only your doctor can help you better at this stage. But most of the time your doctor will advise you not to exercise.
When To Stop Exercising?
May you are starting exercise after consulting your doctor. It is common to have changes in your body during pregnancy. But if some of these changes Occurred in your, you need to consult your doctor immediately.
- Abdominal pain
- Pelvic pain
- Feel chest pain
- Feel nauseous, faint and dizziness.
- Vaginal bleeding
- The fluid that leaks steadily through the vagina.
- Irregular heartbeat.
- Short of breath
- Feel muscle weakness or pain.
- Difficulty in walking
- Have a headache.
- Heart palpitation or uneven heartbeat.
- Shortness in the breath.
Don’t take any risk while you are pregnant. It can put you and your baby’s health at risk. Feel any discomfort call your doctor or at least tell your partner immediately. Pregnancy is a very sensitive time. You should know all the risk factors and alarming signs of exercises during pregnancy.
Exercises are safe for both baby and mother at any time during pregnancy. Exercise can relieve some discomfort such as constipation, back pain, aches, nausea, gestational diabetes, etc. exercises also help with cesarean section, vaginal deliveries, and maternal weight.
Remember always choose exercises that are good for pregnant women or which are specially for pregnant women.
If you feel any discomfort call your doctor exercise are good but not at the cost of risk for mom and baby.
Try these exercises with all safety tips which mention above and make your pregnancy pain free.
If you follow proper nutrition and regular exercise, you can significantly lessen all the pain and discomfort that are associated with pregnancy.