First thing you should know that if you are following a keto diet that only high fat and low carbs are good. High in carbs and sugar are the enemies of a keto diet. So you should avoid everything that contains high carbs.
Fruits are generally healthy for your health, but when it comes to keto diet most of the fruit is not keto-friendly like mango, banana and many more.
Everyone treats tomatoes as a vegetable, but it is technically a fruit cause of fructose. So may this question arise in your mind many times that tomatoes are keto-friendly or not? Or we can eat tomatoes on a keto diet or not? or what is keto tomato?
- Tomato nutrition – how many carbs in tomatoes?
- Tomatoes on Keto – Are tomatoes keto?
- Types of tomatoes to eat on a keto diet
- How to eat tomatoes in a keto diet?
- Tomato soup on keto – Is tomato soup tomato?
- How many tomatoes to eat on a keto diet?
- Form of tomatoes you should avoid on a keto diet
- Benefits of Tomatoes on keto
- Our Recommendation for you
- Most frequently asked Questions
Tomato contains 95% of water by its water. This is why raw tomatoes are low in calories, but low in carbs as well.
According to the USDA Food Composition Databases, 100g Raw Tomato can provide –
- Water – 94g
- Total Carbs – 3.9g
- Fiber – 1.2
- Net carbs – 2.7g
- Total sugars – 2.6g
- Protein – 0.88g
- Fat – 0.20g
Vitamins and minerals
Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants. That can help to prevent many diseases and also act as anti-aging.
- Vitamin A – 17% of the RDI value
- Vitamin C – 21% of the RDI value
- Vitamin E – 3% of the RDI value
- Vitamin K – 10% of the RDI value
- Vitamin B6 – 4% of the RDI value
- Folate – 4% of the RDI value
- Potassium – 7% of the RDI value
- Manganese – 6% of the RDI value
Net carbs in tomato depend on what kind of tomato you are eating. Some tomato contains less than 3g net carbs.
However, some tomatoes such as Roma tomatoes contain 7g net carbs per 100g.
Tomatoes aren’t high in fibers so generally total carbs are also net carbs. They contain 1-2g fiber per 100g.
Check tables based on net carbs & calories content.
|Cherry tomatoes||2.7g||18 Kcal|
|Campari Tomatoes||2.7g||20 Kcal|
|Beefsteak Tomatoes||2.7g||17 Kcal|
|Kumato Tomatoes||3g per 125g||25 Kcal|
|Grape tomatoes||5.9g||35 Kcal|
|Roma tomato||7g||35 Kcal|
the simple question is – Can you eat on a keto diet? and the simple answer is –
Definitely Yes, tomatoes are keto-friendly (ketogenic), According to USDA Food Composition Databases, a standard tomato contains 4 g carbohydrates per 100 g . There is only 3-4 medium size tomato per 100 g. So, you should eat only 3-4 tomatoes in a keto diet.
But you should remember that carbs count depends on tomato you are eating.
If you are thinking about quitting tomatoes you should not do that because it contains every low carb.
A ketogenic diet is a carbs restricted diet, it doesn’t mean that the ketogenic diet is zero carbs diet.
You should consider tomatoes in your keto diet because tomatoes contain low sugar, more fiber and more than that it contains nutrients that you may be lacking on a keto diet.
You can eat tomatoes with some coconut oil, peppers, and salt.
Tomatoes contain fewer carbs than green beans, broccoli, kale, cabbage, etc. now you can understand how many things you should quit if you are thinking about to quit tomatoes in a keto diet.
Types of tomatoes to eat on a keto diet
There are many varieties of tomatoes. But you need to choose a low-carb variety of tomato for the keto diet.
Here are some well-known variety of tomato –
1. Cherry tomatoes – cherry tomatoes contain carbs and nutrition similar to standard tomatoes. So, you can eat cherry tomatoes on a keto diet.
2. Grape tomatoes – These contain lower water content and more fructose. It contains 5 g net carbohydrates . You can eat grape tomato as long as you are not crossing daily carb intake in your standard keto diet.
3. Kumato Tomatoes – They contain 4g of carbs per 100 g so it can be a good option for a keto diet.
4. Roma tomato – you can Roma tomatoes on a ketogenic diet if you are eating sparingly. One thick slice of it contains almost 1 g carbs. One serving of Roma tomatoes contains 7g carbs. Roma tomatoes are not a keto-friendly tomato.
5. Campari Tomatoes – it contains 2.7 g of net carbs count per 100 g (2 tomatoes) so keep counting if you are eating when you are on the keto diet. Campari tomato contains carbs similar to a standard tomato.
6. Beefsteak Tomatoes – you should avoid Beefsteak Tomatoes during a keto diet. One medium-size tomato can contain 4 g net carbs. Beefsteak tomato contains carbs similar to Roma tomato. Avoid Beefsteak and Tomato in a keto diet.
You can add tomato to your diet in many ways. Just remember, try to eat tomato raw, when water is extracted from tomatoes they become high in carbs.
Source click here
Yes, tomato soup is keto friendly. In fact, it is the best way to add tomato to your diet. There are so many recipes for keto tomato soup. Here are some.
1. Keto tomato soup (15 minutes)
It is easy to make and you can make it anytime.
Macros per servings – 266 calories, 5g net carbs, 26g fat, 2g protein,2g fiber.
Ingredients – 300 grams tomatoes, 50 grams Onion, 10 grams garlic, 100 ml Fresh Cream, 300 ml Chicken stock, 50 grams Salted Butter, 1 Tsp Pumpkin Spice, 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika, 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper Powder,
Know full recipe – headbangerskitchen.com
2. KETO LOW CARB ROASTED TOMATO SOUP (45 minutes)
Macros per servings – 95 calories, 1g net carbs, 8g fat, 3g protein,0g fiber.
Ingredients – 10 medium tomato, 4 cloves Garlic, 2 tbsp Olive oil, 1 tbsp Herbs de Provence, 2 cup chicken bone broth, 1/2 tsp Sea salt, 1/4 cup Heavy cream, 1/4 tsp Black pepper, 2 tbsp Fresh basil, 1/4 cup Heavy cream.
Know full recipe – www.wholesomeyum.com
There are 3-4 medium-sized tomatoes per 100g. You cannot completely mess with ketosis if you eat 2-3 tomatoes per day. You need to eat 5-6 tomatoes to upset your ketosis.
You should avoid all forms of tomato that contain very low water content. Water content low means high in carbs, which is restricted.
1. Tomato powder
You should not eat tomato powder in a keto diet. Tomato powder contains 75% carbs. According to US Food Composition Database tomatoes, powder contains 74.6 g carbs and a total of 13 g protein.
If you eat too much powder, your body will be no longer in ketosis. Or you can spoil your keto diet completely.
2. Sun-dried tomato
Sun-dried tomato contains very low or no water content. Due to this only carbs, fiber and protein content.
Sun-dried tomato contains 213 calories and these calories come from 14.1 g protein, 12.3 g fiber, and 56 g carbohydrates. 
So if you are eating sun-dried tomatoes in the keto diet, then keep counting on how much you have eaten.
Tomatoes have a number of health benefits because it is the major source of antioxidants lycopene and also rich in vitamin A, C, K, etc.
1. Heart health
Tomatoes have several health benefits. They are rich in vitamins A, K, C, and potassium.
Tomatoes are good for your heart health.
Lycopene serum can decrease the risk of stroke and tomato are the best source of lycopene.
2. Skin protection
Tomato is also very beneficial for skin health.
Tomato is rich in lycopene, vitamin A and C which can protect your skin from sunburn. 
3. Protection against cancer
In several studies shows that high lycopene can protect from several cancers such as prostate cancer, breast cancer, stomach cancer, etc. 
Our Recommendation for you
You should make everything at home. If you don’t know how to make tomato centric delicious dishes at home. You can buy tomato recipes from the online store. It would be cheaper than buying tomatoes soup, sauce, etc.
Click here for Tomato recipes for keto
You can eat tomatoes in the ketogenic diet but you should always count how much you have eaten. Generally, tomato contains 4 to 7 g of carbs and You can easily pass the maximum limit.
But you should quit tomato in keto-diet because it contains nutrients that might be difficult to find while following a ketogenic diet.
Most frequently asked Questions
Can I eat tomatoes on the keto diet?
Yes, tomatoes are keto-friendly. According to USDA Food Composition Databases, A standard tomato contains 4 g carbohydrates per 100 g. There is only one small size tomato per 100 g.
Are tomatoes Low-carb?
Yes, tomatoes are low-carb. Cherry tomatoes, Kumato Tomatoes, Campari Tomatoes, and Beefsteak Tomatoes contain 4-5 g carbs per 100g. Although, some tomamtoes like Roma tomatoes contain 7g carbs per 100g.
Is tomato powder good for keto diet?
You should not eat tomato powder in a keto diet. Tomato powder contains 75% carbs. According to US Food Composition Database, tomatoes powder contains 74.6 g carbs and total 13 g protein.
What is the lowest carbs variety of tomato?
Cherry, Kumato Tomatoes and Campari Tomatoes are the best form of tomato for keto diet and contain lowest carbs count.
Is sundried tomato keto-friendly?
No, sundried tomato is no ketogenic. Sun-dried tomato contains 213 calories and these calories come from 14.1 g protein, 12.3 g fiber, and 56 g carbohydrates.